If you notice a staff member's performance going down the tubes it is time to ask them if they want to be “on the bus or off the bus”. If they choose to be “on the bus” then they must bring their “A” game to work every single day.
What are the signs of declining performance? Here are a few that I look for:
- Arriving late.
- Extending their lunch breaks.
- Texting or taking phone calls during work hours.
- Forgetfulness – you need to keep reminding them of things.
- Sickies on Monday or Friday.
- Not being proactive in helping out coworkers.
In my experience declining performance very seldom self corrects. Therefore you are much better to have a conversation sooner rather than later.